7.25.2012

Nana's Lemon Ice Box Pie

Today is my Nana's birthday! I'll spare my Nana the injustice of telling you how old she is. I've heard that when people pass 30 they don't appreciate it when you tell their age. But I will tell you that she doesn't look a day over 25.

Like my Nana, I'm a baker. Not much of a cooker. So when my mom and I discuss what we'll be bringing to our celebratory family dinner the conversation goes a little like this:

Mommy - "I was thinking you'd make the dessert."

And it's decided. 

I made my Nana a Lemon Ice Box Pie with Candied Lemon Slices - just like she used to make with her friends in college.


Lemon Ice Box Pie
1 small can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 graham cracker crust
1 small tub Cool Whip
(Recipe Source)

Mix condensed milk, lemon juice, and Cool Whip until smooth. Pour into pie crust. Refrigerate until set, about 1 hour.

Honestly, I don't know how I can call myself "a baker" with a recipe like that. Could it get any more basic?



Candied Lemon Slices
1 larger leon
1 cup sugar
(Recipe Source)

1. Prepare an ice-water bath. Set aside. Cut the lemon into thin slices, discarding the seeds and the ends of rinds.
2. Bring medium saucepan of water to a boil. Remove from heat, add the lemon slices. Stir until softened, about 1 minute. Drain, immediately plunge slices into ice water bath. Drain again.
3. Bring sugar and 1 cup water to boil in a medium skillet, swirling to dissolve the sugar. When the sugar water is clear and bubbling, reduce the heat to medium-low. Add the lemon slices, arranging them in one layer. Simmer until the rinds are translucent, about 1 hour.
4. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Let stand until ready to serve.

Happy Birthday, Nana! I love you!



No comments:

Post a Comment